Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude

On Mi, 04 apr 12, 10:58:52, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Sort of explains things to me - I'm still lost as to why I'd want to
> remove packages for which no repository is currently listed in
> /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
> Packages that custom packages, packages for which there no longer is a
> repository (Google packages, temp custom repos) and packages installed
> using repositories enabled only to install that package (eg. Debian
> Multimedia).

It makes sense on a pure Debian machine (or at least with maintained
external repositories), because packages that are not in any archive
also don't get (security) upgrades ;)

Even on my sid machine I only have one orphaned package, which I can't
remove because it is depended on, but since it's marked auto-installed I
don't even have to worry about it, aptitude will deal with it as needed.

Kind regards,
Andrei