Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude

On Ma, 03 apr 12, 10:40:45, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 03/04/12 08:16, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I only use aptitude from command line for things such as
> >
> >     aptitude purge ~o
> >
> > which are impossible to achieve with apt-get alone and not easy even if
> > you combine it with other tools.
>
> # apt-get --purge autoremove

Definitely not the same thing.

> OR (belt and corset)
>
> # apt-get --purge remove `deborphan`; apt-get --purge autoremove

I remember deborphan had several modes of operation, but the main one
was still the equivalent of apt-get's autoremove.

To explain, aptitude's ~o pattern stands for "orphaned", that is
installed packages that are not available from any of the *currently*
configured sources: it may be the package has been dropped from the
archive (can happen for unstable and testing, very seldom also for
stable) or you removed the corresponding deb line your from
sources.list.

apt-show-versions can be used to generate the package list for apt

$ apt-show-versions | grep libxmlrpc-ruby
libxmlrpc-ruby 4.2 installed: No available version in archive

but you have do some piping first.

Hope this explains,
Andrei