[OT] help with m-audio usb Fast Track pro on debian

Running Wheezy

Can anyone suggest pointers, urls, or coaching toward getting an
m-audio USB Fast Track Pro (external sound card) working?

  (Please do not reply just to suggest google).

When I run `alsamixer' it lists the Fast Track as one of the sound
cards available.  When I choose it, alsamixer reports there are no
controls available

(`This sound device does not have any controls')

All the controls are on the device.  I have the speakers turned on, the
Fast Track light is on, indicating it is getting power thru the usb
port.

However, when I attempt tp play something with `mplayer some.wav', I
get no sound.