Re: [OT] help with m-audio usb Fast Track pro on debian

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 09:39:04AM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Running Wheezy
>
> Can anyone suggest pointers, urls, or coaching toward getting an
> m-audio USB Fast Track Pro (external sound card) working?
>
>   (Please do not reply just to suggest google).
>
> When I run `alsamixer' it lists the Fast Track as one of the sound
> cards available.  When I choose it, alsamixer reports there are no
> controls available
>
> (`This sound device does not have any controls')
>
> All the controls are on the device.  I have the speakers turned on, the
> Fast Track light is on, indicating it is getting power thru the usb
> port.
>
> However, when I attempt tp play something with `mplayer some.wav', I
> get no sound.

You may need to specify which sound card to send/receive the sound
through.

To see all your sound devices, run:

aplay -l

Figure out what card # and device # your m-audio is.  Then run:

aplay -d hw:1,0 some.wav  (for card #1, device #0 -- adjust as
necessary).

Another thing to try is running gnome-volume-control.pulse and selecting
your m-audio device on the "output" tab.

-Rob