Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Am Samstag, 8. Dezember 2012 schrieb Hans-J. Ullrich:

> > Current Wheezy:
> > - i386 packages can be directly installed as Architecture:i386 and
> >   directly depend on X:i386 etc. as needed
> > - ia32-libs:amd64 is empty and depends on X:i386, Y:i386, Z:i386 to
> >   ensure that if you upgrade from Squeeze, all libraries previously
> >   found on your system as part of the ia32-libs package are
> >   installed, furthermore, packages still depend on ia32-libs of
> >   Architecture:amd64 continue to work.
> >

> I am running wheezy. So, if I understood, I have these choices
>
> 1. stay with the old ia32-libs (which content all 32-bit libs) and set ia32-
> libs to hold
>
> 2. convert to multiarch, get an empty (transitional) ia32-libs package and get
> all needed and new 32-bit-libs from i386.
>
> Ok, I understood.

Phew! Good.

I might have better read the complete thread. But well, now you have my
explaination as well (see other post). Forgive any a bit harsh tone. I am
just fed up with the topic after a monster thread on debian-user-german
which exactly the same misunderstandings and initially the same refusal
to *first* understand multi arch and *then* make oneself a oppinion about
it - aka its new so it must be bad.

It seems that multi arch needs some good explaination.

Maybe you want to write some from a end user point of view?

Multiarch explained in simple words from one user to all other users?

> But last question: Does debian make sure, that I get rid
> from the old 32-bit libs included in the old ia32-libs package or do I have to
> search them manually, to get a clean system, without double 32-bit libs?

From what I understand its either old ia32-libs all-in-one package *OR*
new ia32-libs package, architecture amd64, which depends on ia32-libs-i386,
architecture i386 (!), which depends the i386 library packages the old one
has included from in the package itself.

So there is no waste of space.

Exactly the opposite is true: Once Google puts out a multi arch aware
Google Earth package like Skype did and you have nothing else requiring
ia32-libs you can git rid of it and possibly some of the 32-bit packages
that have not been used by Google Earth and other 32-bit application you
use at all.

So multiarch is very likely is a (net) a win in space comsumption. Unless
you happen to use 32-bit applications which use more 32-bit library than
ia32-libs provided. But these wouldn´t have worked with ia32-libs anyway.

Ciao,