multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Hi folks,

I am still fighting with multiarch. On my 64-bit system I have a several 32-bit
applications installed. Just to name the best known: skype and googleearth.

As they are 32-bit, I also installed ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk (and this
already for since a long long time).

Just to make clear: All(!!) 32-bit applications are running fine! All!

But when I switch to multiarch, and add i386 (dpkg --add-architecture i386),
and want to make an upgrade, then debian wants to install a lot(!) of new libs
from i386. Why that? WTF? New libs? They are not needed (as everything is
working well), and I do not want to fill my system with unnecessary stuff!
Never!

On the other hand, if I do NOT change to multiarch, debian wants to deinstall
skype, googleearth, ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk, although they are working
perfectly.  There IS no reason, to deinstall them.

I know, the reason is, that ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk are missing
dependencies from i386-repository and without them, skype and googleearth will
deinstall, too.

I see here a big dependency problem. And additionally (and please, pleas), IMO
the kind of doing this way, is not nice.

People are FORCED two ways, either to deinstall their WORKING applications and
change a running system, or to switch to multiarch and get added with lots of
unnessessary libs and stuff!

Again, please apologize, I do not want to anger you, but please allow me to
tell also things, I am not agreeing with.

Maybe there might be a way, to part dependencies between amd64 and i386, and
find a way, to let people decide, how they want to deal with 32-bit and 64-bit
applications.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards

Hans