Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Maybe I described my problem not exactly enough. My English might be better.
Let me try again.

1. I have a running amd64 system, which is running 32-bit applications
perfectly (due to ia32-libs)

2. aptitude upgrade wants to deinstall ia32-libs, as there are dependencies in
i386 repo (ia32-libs:386). According to this, it wants also deinstall my 32-
bit applications (i.e. skype or googleearth)

Now I have two choices

1. I can add i386 to the sources list. This will keep and update ia32-libs and
keep my 32-bit apps - but it will install al lot of new (unnecessary) libs,
which I do not need and I do not want to install. It is sure, I do not need
them, as the 32-bit applications are running perfectly as described above.

I do not want to fill my system, with unnecessary libs (keep it simple stupid)

2. I do NOT add i386, then apt / aptitude wants always to deinstall my 32-bit
applications, which means, it will destroy a running system.

I do not want this, I want my system kep running.

IMO this is a dependency problem. My suggestions for a solution:

1. Change the dependencies of ia-32-libs, that they do not depend i386-repo.

2. No amd64 package should depend on a package of i386-repo.

IMO this would solve a lot of problems and people can decide, if they want to
use multiarch or not. At the moment, it looks for me, as people are forced to
use multiarch, if they want to use any 32-bit application.

But this technically not necessary ( as described above) and it is against
freedom of choice.

Best regards

Hans