Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

Hello Hans-J.,

"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> But when I switch to multiarch, and add i386 (dpkg --add-architecture i386),
> and want to make an upgrade, then debian wants to install a lot(!) of new libs
> from i386. Why that? WTF? New libs? They are not needed (as everything is
> working well), and I do not want to fill my system with unnecessary stuff!
> Never!

Have a look at the contents of ia32-libs-*. The ‘new’ libraries APT
wants to install already exist on your system, just in one ugly
enormous package that has to be downloaded in full each time one of
the libraries it contains changes. You also don’t get to choose which
of the libraries in ia32-libs-* you actually need. Chances are that
multi-arch will actually relieve you of a lot of unnecessary stuff.

> On the other hand, if I do NOT change to multiarch, debian wants to deinstall
> skype, googleearth, ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk, although they are working
> perfectly.  There IS no reason, to deinstall them.

Yes there is, ia32-libs-* are superseded by multi-arch and no longer
maintained/updated.

Skype works perfectly with multi-arch here, I did not test google
earth late, though.

Best,

Claudius