Re: multiarch - please do not force users to change a running system!

2012-12-08 10:01, Hans-J. Ullrich skrev:
IMO this is a dependency problem. My suggestions for a solution:

1. Change the dependencies of ia-32-libs, that they do not depend i386-repo.

2. No amd64 package should depend on a package of i386-repo.

In order for you to have 32-bit applications to your system, debian has provided the ia32 libs solution. It has been clear for a long time that that solution is not maintainable as a long-term solution, and the time has now come to transition to multiarch instead.

Debian now has two options.

1) remove the ia32 libs packages entirely, forcing you to uninstall all amd64 applications that use ia32-libs, or keep an unmaintained package (ia32-libs).

2) Keep a transitional package, that will let some of the 32-bit applications in amd64 bit systems continue to work, by making them depend (via the transitional ia32-libs package) on packages in i386.

With option 1, all 32 bit apps on amd64 system breaks, which you do not like, and with option 2 you get the dependencies between amd64 and i386 that you do not like.

I do not see a solution that would keep you happy.

IMO this would solve a lot of problems and people can decide, if they want to
use multiarch or not. At the moment, it looks for me, as people are forced to
use multiarch, if they want to use any 32-bit application.

I assume that you could simply keep your currently installed version of ia32 libs for some time longer, continue to use the 32-bit apps, and be happy without multiarch.

As I interpret the situation, you are unhappy that debian provides a transitional package, and that a third party software provider (microsoft, owner of skype) has provided you with a package that has problem with the transition to multiarch.

But this technically not necessary ( as described above) and it is against
freedom of choice.

I do not see a solution that would satisfy you and that debian can implement without cooperation from skype, given that the ia32-libs bundle that you have installed in your amd64 system will not be maintainable for the duration of wheezy.

Reinstalling skype is actually not very difficult... It will probably take you less time than I spent writing this email.

See <https://wiki.debian.org/skype> for more information.

Of course, the fact that debian has limited resources (developer time) at its disposal limits your freedom of choice, as it means that debian is unable to maintain two seaprate solutions to this problem, and therefore has to drop the old ia32-libs solution at some point.

Regards

Johan