Re: how many users is enough? (was Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta4 release)

"Morel Bérenger" wrote:
(Personally, I'm suspicious of software and changes that are
distribution-specific.)
Are you suspicious about the Debian Linux kernel? It have distro specific
patches. (But I think and hope that they are reported upstream. Did not
checked.)

Well, that's why I included this:
| Now where the number of users/contributors might really come into play is when it comes to maintaining/developing those aspects of | Debian and Ubuntu that are unique to the respective distros (e.g., their installers and package repositories).

I really think that the packaging is not so easy as it sounds. If it was, all developers would provide packages automagically generated for all distros, and this would not require maintainers. But strangely, that's not so common. Maybe because it's not that simple...
Well... I usually find that ./configure; make; make install works automagically on most distributions - usually more reliably than packaged versions of more obscure code.

Miles