Re: Sources.list Question

On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 22:43 -0500, Fred White wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am learning to help myself installing and updates some minor programs
> on my dedicated server and need to ask a couple of questions.
>
> I need to upgrade Opendkim version 2.0.1 but squeeze repository remains
> with 2.0.1 since I started have to add opendkim to my server and this
> version seem never to be upgraded. However, 2.6.8 is in Debian backports
> repository and since I do not want to update any other areas of my
> server seeing the warning of incompatibilities that might be introduced
> by the packages using the backports could cause my system to become
> unsupportable I want to be carefull.
>
> Could I just rename my present sources.list and then just create a new
> sources.list with just the one line "deb
> http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main"
> then #apt-get update
> then #apt-get install opendkim
> Would this be right or should I be using dpkg.
>
> Please advice any input would be much appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Fred

Yes, you can do this, but this already could brake your Linux. If you
would use dpkg you would have to get all needed dependencies manually.
You perhaps should read about Debian's policy. "Stable" isn't for
software version hunting ;).

Perhaps helpful for your needs:
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

To choose a distro or version of a distro should be done regarding to
the needs.  I don't use always one distro, I always try to use the
distro and it's version (assumed the distro has version, some are
rolling releases), that fit best to my needs. There isn't something like
"distro A" is better than "distro B", it depends to your needs. So, if
you're waiting for an upgrade, using Debian stable is an unfavorable
choice, usually there are updates for security reasons, but not just to
get latest features.

Regards,
Ralf