Re: Thunar, USB-sticks and big files

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 07:57:09 AM Andreas Rönnquist wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:58:29AM +0100, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:
> > > Hi guys!
> > >
> > > I have a problem copying big files to an USB-stick using thunar in

> > > I do this to copy ripped DVD's to USB memory for viewing in a TV
> > > with

> > > Nothing extremely serious, I can still copy the files using
> > > terminal as I said, but it would be nice to have it working using
> > > only Thunar too.
> >
> > You see this list talking the same problem :-)
> > You are hitting 4GB limit of FAT.
> >
> > Reformat USB stick with
> >
> >  * ext2/3/4 if moving around Linux.
> >  * Darwin UFS, I think, for Mac
> >  * NTFS for Windows ...
>
> (No need to CC the replies to me, I read the list)
>
> But I am not nowhere near using 4GB... Files are around 700MB each, and
> one of the tried USB sticks is only 2GB big, so I would guess that
> doesn't apply? - and as I said, it works just fine when doing the same
> thing in a terminal.
>
> "Copying" works just fine in both terminal and Thunar, but when
> unmounting the device (I guess its at this point the files are actually
> written to the device), the action times out (and the resulting
> files are not properly readable) when using Thunar, but not when using
> the terminal.
>
> /Andreas

Try 'sync' after the write is supposedly complete; see what happens when the
system actually tries to write to the device. Open a shell and 'tail -f
/var/log/messages' to see if anything is griping about the device during
writes.

Hmmm. You *are* waiting for the cached data to be flushed to the drive before
unplugging it, right?