Re: Thunar, USB-sticks and big files

> Try 'sync' after the write is supposedly complete; see what happens
> when the system actually tries to write to the device. Open a shell
> and 'tail -f /var/log/messages' to see if anything is griping about
> the device during writes.
>
> Hmmm. You *are* waiting for the cached data to be flushed to the
> drive before unplugging it, right?

hmm, I now I have tried several different USB-sticks, and I still have
the problem (It perhaps isn't quite as serious as I believed though)...

If having copied a "big" file, unmounting through Thunar pretty much
always results in the following error message:

> Failed unmounting 'Devicename'
> "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote
> application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
> blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
> connection was broken."

- after a short while (way before the actual writing is done) - But, if
I keep waiting for some time _after_ this, the data is still written to
the device as it should. However, it doesn't give any clue whatsoever
to when it actually is finished writing the files to the device, so it
is easy to (by mistake) physically take the USB-stick before the data is
actually written.

However, I do have one USB-stick, that actually lights up a LED during
copying, making it pretty easy to spot when it is safe to remove it and
not, but I kind of wish that that sort of feature wouldn't be necessary
to safely use an USB-stick...

If I don't copy any files, or just copy small files, I get that
standard "It's now safe to remove the device" when unmounting - This
is what I expect in the scenario with bigger files described above
too after copying is done, but no...

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists@gusnan.se
gusnan@gusnan.se