Re: OT: The following packages will be REMOVED:

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> I guess the averaged Ubuntu user isn't aware that Ubuntu switched from
> init to upstart, the averaged Arch user is aware of the switch from
> initscripts to systemd. I wonder if it was possible to Upgrade from
> Ubuntu old school to Ubuntu upstart? I think so, because Ubuntu e.g.
> still maintains policykit, udev. Arch doesn't!

You must mean consolekit not policykit.

You're underestimating Ubuntu users. For example, NetworkManager's
startup has been migrated to upstart so

[initctl] restart network-manager
and
service network-manager restart

work and

invoke-rc.d network-manager restart
and
/etc/init.d/network-manager

don't work.

So, at the very least, anyone using Ubuntu who's had to restart a
service that's been migrated to upstart knows that something's
changed.