OT: The following packages will be REMOVED:

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 10:48 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> PS: yes, I install debian regularly... Because I love to play with
> highly critical files like init scripts or boot loaders. This is my
> way to understand how things works: tinker to learn , and if you break
> things, try to repair :D

My Arch is broken, since I can't play anymore with Arch's
"initscripts" ;) and IMO "repairing", the transition, is to time
consuming and for some needs still impossible. Soon or later Debian will
drop init too, but there for sure won't be a transition within testing
or experimental, I guess when testing becomes stable, a new experimental
will switch to systemd, upstart or what ever. A transition like
switching away from init is different to a broken X package, since it's
not just switching the init daemon, it will effect especially your
desktop environments, since the kit family will be dropped, udev won't
be available without installing systemd and perhaps "some etc.".

Making a new install IMO is the easiest solution when radical
transitions will make a regular upgrade impossible.

Regarding to the topic, multilib vs non-free on Debian, I'm not aware
how radical this transition is.

I guess the averaged Ubuntu user isn't aware that Ubuntu switched from
init to upstart, the averaged Arch user is aware of the switch from
initscripts to systemd. I wonder if it was possible to Upgrade from
Ubuntu old school to Ubuntu upstart? I think so, because Ubuntu e.g.
still maintains policykit, udev. Arch doesn't! Debian for sure will
switch to systemd too, follow upstream and also drop the kit family and
add udev to the systemd package?!

Debian once switched from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 for testing and this was a
serious issue for me. I didn't notice some changes. I used Debian,
because I wasn't forced to install pulseaudio, known as completely
borked, because it simply couldn't handle professional audio cards,
however, I didn't notice that among other crap, GNOME 3 installed
pulseaudio and make my Debian unusable for my needs. OTOH I couldn't
stay with stable, because I needed to compile audio stuff, even for
testing I needed to compile the version of ALSA, that was the current
stable release from ALSA.

For my needs the most usable default installs are from distros where I
have to remove less to get a running audio workstation, OTOH I prefer
only to install what I need, instead of removing packages.

What ever people prefer, a real rolling release, Debian stable or
testing ... it's always a good idea to backup, before upgrading and to
expect that important things will be completely borked after upgrading.