Re: apt / aptitude question

David Guntner <davidg@akamail.net> wrote:
> Thanks to both you and Neal for the replies.  Interesting to see the
> multiple ways of getting the same information. :-)

They do different things and (for me anyway) give different
results. Consider the package "cltl" that I do not have installed:

    $ apt-file search cltl    # Search repositories
    cltl: /etc/emacs/site-start.d/60cltl.el
    cltl: /usr/share/doc-base/cltl
    cltl: /usr/share/doc/cltl/README.Debian
    cltl: /usr/share/doc/cltl/changelog.gz
    cltl: /usr/share/doc/cltl/copyright
    ...[other results]...

    $ apt-file search 60cltl.el    # Search repositories
    cltl: /etc/emacs/site-start.d/60cltl.el

    $ dpkg-query -S cltl    # Search installed packages
    dpkg: *cltl* not found.

    $ dpkg-query -S 60cltl.el    # Search installed packages
    dpkg: *60cltl.el* not found.

Chris