Re: apt / aptitude question

----------------- 8< -----------------
> It will spit back a list of all packages that provide that filename or
> any part of it.  It's treated like a substring - for example if I type
> "urpmf kross" it will list the package that provides /usr/bin/kross,
> and will then go on to show other packages that have that string in
> it like /usr/lib64/libkokross.so.7 and so on.  This can be controlled
> by entering something like "urpmf /usr/bin/kcross", though other
> things in /usr/bin that start with "kcross" will also show up.
>
> I haven't figured or found out yet how to get that kind of search
> functionality within Debian.  So as above, is there a way to do this,
> and if so, how?

And in addition to Neals answer, there is also apt-file that can be
used like this:

apt-file search <something>
apt-file list <package>

- before doing apt-file search, you should run apt-file update.
See the manpage for more info.

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists@gusnan.se
gusnan@gusnan.se