apt / aptitude question

Hello,

Mandriva refugee here. :-)  New to Debian, but have been using some form
of *NIX since 1986.  Have been a happy Mandriva user since the Mandrake
7 days, but that new company that purchased it, resulting in them losing
most of their talent, has finally caused me to leave; the last update to
the OS (which was the first under the new regime) left me with a system
that barely runs.  So I looked around and decided that Debian might be a
good distro for me to use (plus, my webhosting provider is using Debian
on their servers; I decided it might be nice to not have to change
mental gears when I ssh into my vps :-) ).

I've been working on figuring out the various quirks and differences
between the two and Google Has Been My Friend in this a lot. :-)  Even
managed to find a reference to using an Ubuntu source to install Freenx
from the .deb packages that they provide since for some reason Debian
doesn't (so that's something I won't have to do without - yay!).

However, I've had no luck finding any useful information on this one
particular item; maybe I'm just not wording the search correctly.  I'm
hoping someone here can give me a hand.

In Mandriva, they use a wrapper to rpm called urpm{x} (where "{x}"
represents an action that you want to do "i" for install, "e" for erase,
etc.).  There are options that allow you to see what files are related
to packages, whether they are installed in the system or not.  There are
two in particular that I'd like to have happen here.

In Mandriva if I enter:

urpmq -i {somepackage}

I will get an output that's pretty similar to what I get if I enter:

aptitude show {somepackage}

in Debian.  So far, so good.  However, on the Mandriva side, if I enter:

urpmq -fi {somepackage}

I'll get the package information *and* a listing of all files provided
by that package.  I can't seem to figure out (or find out) how to do
that same thing in Debian.  Is there a way?  And if so, how to do it?

As to the second variation on this theme, under Mandriva, if I enter:

urpmf {somefilename}

It will spit back a list of all packages that provide that filename or
any part of it.  It's treated like a substring - for example if I type
"urpmf kross" it will list the package that provides /usr/bin/kross, and
will then go on to show other packages that have that string in it like
/usr/lib64/libkokross.so.7 and so on.  This can be controlled by
entering something like "urpmf /usr/bin/kcross", though other things in
/usr/bin that start with "kcross" will also show up.

I haven't figured or found out yet how to get that kind of search
functionality within Debian.  So as above, is there a way to do this,
and if so, how?

Thanks for any help!

                  --Dave