Re: OT: Seeking Advice on Purchasing a Laptop

On 11/12/2012 06:18 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 08:43:25PM +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:
One thing to think about is placement of the ctrl key.  It gets used a
lot, especially when editing.  So it's placement is of great
importance ergonomically.
Only if you use emacs, if you use vim, for example, it hardly gets used
at all.

I have an older Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505. and I like it a lot. It has a very good keyboard for a laptop, probably the best I've run into. All the keys are in normal places, except because it has no separate number pad or the 6 keys a desktop k/b has to the right of
the Backspace and \ keys, the delete key is after the F12 key.
So if they still make as nice a machine as this one, then I recommend Dell. (I'm running PCLinuxOS on it, and it works fine. I dual boot with XP, but hardly ever use the m/s os.)

--doug