Re: OT: Seeking Advice on Purchasing a Laptop

Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/12/12, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
>> My backup desktop died and I am thinking of replacing it with a laptop.
>> I am not a gamer but a bit more than a routine user, i.e. occasionally
>> use big programs and am interested in experimenting with Blender.  I
>> want to stick with Debian and have no need of Window$.
>>
>> Touch screen is not essential though I am fond of the touch screen on my
>> HP Touchpad which is modified to run Android.
>>
>> Urgency is not high as I have a full backup of the system.
>>
>> Advice?
>
> One thing to think about is placement of the ctrl key.  It gets used a
> lot, especially when editing.  So it's placement is of great
> importance ergonomically.

Is that such a big problem, though?  Every laptop keyboard I've used has
had the CapsLock key placed prominently and I've always configured it to
be an additional Ctrl.  Placement of the physical Ctrl key is mostly a
non-issue for me, even though I'm an emacs user.

--
regards,
kushal