Debian repository on external USB

Guyz,

i just want to ask a very newbie kind of a question for my new network
deployment in a different kind of a circumstances. i have a slow
internet in our new branch office locations. porbably SAMBA , postfix,
etc would be needed. and due to the problem of slow bandwidth i want
to make a local/portable repository server so that i can point the
repository and just use apt-get command for any installation. instead
of carrying 8 DVDs  i want to dump all these on a USB.  so is that
practical what i am planning to do. to me it seems possible but i do
not have any idea since this is very new task for me and that is why i
need your help.

http://blog.sarathonline.com/2009/03/how-to-make-local-offline-repository-in.html
i found this article but dpkg-scanpackages command is not present.i am
using debian Squeeze 6.0.X

Thanks,