Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/30/2012 10:44 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:50:02 +0100
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
>> If enough people buy AMD then Intel has a strong competitor.  This keeps
>> the marketplace healthy and keeps Chipzilla from becoming a total
>> monopoly WRT x86.
>
> Thanks for your ecologically sound hardware suggestions you generously share with
> this group. I feel you have no peer in this matter. Your information saves hours of
> of comparative research and not always correct interpretive comprehension of the
> research.
>
> I always paste these suggestions you make (with a date) on a special page in my Zim
> Desktop Wiki.
>
> Good stuff

Well thanks Charles.  My opinion above comes with a caveat of sorts.  If
the day arrives that AMD starts producing CPUs that are all junk, I
won't buy and won't recommend them, in spite of the ecosystem logic
above.  If that ever comes to pass, I won't need to say a word.  People
will have already stopped buying AMD and Chipzilla will inherit the
entire market.

Right now AMD still makes very competitive CPUs.  Not as fast in the
current generation, but cheaper and good enough.

Now if they'd just smarten up and build a Regor based socket AM3+ dual
core chip with 2MB L2 per core on 32nm, work with the foundry and tweak
the design, they'd have a low wattage 5+GHz chip that would smoke
everything in most benchmarks and real applications, because most still
don't thread effectively beyond a single core, and few beyond two cores.

But again, AMD as Intel, have spent half a decade convincing consumers
that they need all the cores they can afford.  I guess they'd rather
avoid "perjuring" themselves than selling a better chip.

--
Stan