Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/28/2012 4:38 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 27 oct 12, 22:27:30, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>> Coming from a 2800+ which is a ~60 watt CPU, and given the fact you'll
>> never make use of more than 2 of those 8 cores, I recommend a dual core
>> AthlonII X2 @ 3.4GHz.  I have the 3GHz model and the 2nd core is pretty
>> much always idle, with primary core being idle most of the time as well,
>> as is everyone's.
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953
>
> Any opinion on a Core i3 (Ivy Bridge)?

I use and promote AMD exclusively.  If everyone buys Intel then AMD
exits the x86 processor business.  If/when that happens, Intel has no
competition and can and will do two detrimental things to the market:

1.  Raise prices with impunity
2.  Innovate at a lower pace, or stop innovating altogether

If enough people buy AMD then Intel has a strong competitor.  This keeps
the marketplace healthy and keeps Chipzilla from becoming a total
monopoly WRT x86.

--
Stan