Re: Advice on system purchase

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 19:07:29 -0700
Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tend to keep my systems going for a long time, as evidenced by the
> fact that I am looking to replace a single core Athlon 2800+ with 2GB
> max memory at this time (while possibly keeping it running as a server
> to supplement my new desktop system).  And that MB was simply a
> replacement in the box for an older MB whose caps were dying.  I don't
> throw away parts if it can be avoided.  That is also why I am looking
> for a system with enough power to keep me happy without breaking the
> bank.  I am also looking for more memory slots than I currently need so
> that I can upgrade memory later without "throwing away the money I spent
> on the original parts".

Not sure this will be relevant to your situation, but be aware that
obtaining memory for obsolete architectures can sometimes cost *more*
than for current architectures. I have a ThinkPad T61, which I'm quite
happy with, but although I'd love to double its memory from 2GB to 4GB,
it doesn't seem to be available for less than ~ 45USD (on eBay), while
deals on DDR3 for much less constantly come up.

[The machine currently has both slots filled with 1GB DIMMS; I can
compromise and buy a 2GB DIMM for about 30USD, bringing the system
total to 3GB, but once again, this is much more expensive than (a
good deal on) current RAM.]

> Marc

Celejar