Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/29/2012 06:54 AM, Celejar wrote:
Not sure this will be relevant to your situation, but be aware that obtaining memory for obsolete architectures can sometimes cost *more* than for current architectures. I have a ThinkPad T61, which I'm quite happy with, but although I'd love to double its memory from 2GB to 4GB, it doesn't seem to be available for less than ~ 45USD (on eBay), while deals on DDR3 for much less constantly come up. [The machine currently has both slots filled with 1GB DIMMS; I can compromise and buy a 2GB DIMM for about 30USD, bringing the system total to 3GB, but once again, this is much more expensive than (a good deal on) current RAM.]
Not a problem. That MB is maxed out, but that will just be the server if it will stay up without locking. The new desktop will be using a modern MB and DDR3 memory.

Marc