Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/28/12 19:07, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I have run memtest86+ for over a day with no
errors, or lockups. I have asked questions here. I have done web
searches on various possibilities. The closest I could find to my
situation is the graphics driver problem referred to by Johan in the
thread "Debian Wheezy Hangs" about 2 weeks ago.

Trouble-shooting can be maddening. If you suspect the problem is software, you might want to try another Debian distribution (Squeeze vs. Wheezy), another GNU/ Linux distribution, or a *BSD distribution to prove or disprove that hypothesis.

... how does putting one keyboard, mouse and monitor in front of
two or more boxes with a KVM switch do anything better for me than being
able to press Ctl-Alt_Fx to switch between individual sessions?

You've mentioned using the old machine as a server. You've also said that you only have enough room for one keyboard, monitor, and mouse. A KVM switch would allow you to accomplish both goals. But, be warned that compatibility issues are common...

Having a complete, working back-up system is very useful.

The Linux kernel should spread the workload across as many cores as
your processor has.
That is what I thought and is why I was looking at an 8 core processor.
It is not, however, what other people have said, earlier in this thread.
If you look at Stan Hoeppner's reply to my initial post you will see
what I am talking about.

I haven't read (or saved) every post on this thread, and they aren't in the archive yet...

I am trying to keep costs down ...
Cost is the issue. I can not afford to spend more than is
necessary to get a stable system that will do what I need it to do.
> If you looked at the system that I asked about originally, you would see that it costs $389, less $40 in rebates.

I've had the best compatibility results with Microsoft, GNU/Linux, and *BSD operating systems over the past 20+ years when I've used Intel motherboards with integrated graphics, sound, networking, etc., and Intel CPU's. I've donated/ recycled several non-Intel motherboards along the way. I prefer Antec cases and power supplies. I believe modern machines require a Blu-ray RW optical drive, a SSD system drive, and a HDD data drive.

If you plan to re-use existing hardware, be very careful about monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer, modem, I/O card, SSD/HDD/optical drive, serial/ USB/ Firewire, front panel, etc., interfaces on the new motherboard and power supply requirements for the system.

It sounds like you might have a suitable HDD data drive. It would be a challenge for me to fit the rest into a $350 budget. I'd probably have to settle for replacing the motherboard, CPU, memory, and possibly the power supply on the old machine.

My current MB is maxed out at 2GB and I see very little, if any swapping, ...
> I am also looking for more memory slots than I currently need so that I can upgrade memory later ...

Okay.  So, those are two constraints on the solution:

1.  2+ GB of RAM.
2.  Extra memory module slots.

How much did that system cost you.
> ... your i7-2600S system.

I previously stated $820, but had forgotten the SSD. Here's a corrected parts list with prices:

quan	unit	make	model	description	amazon	extension
1 ea Antec Sonata III 500 Mid Tower ATX case with 500 W power supply 151.91 151.91 1 ea Intel BOXDQ67SWB3 Boxed Intel Desktop Board Executive Series Micro-ATX form factor for 2nd Gen Intel Core Family Processors 124.99 124.99
1	ea	Intel	BX80623I72600S	Core I7-2600S Processor	309.49	309.49
1 ea Pioneer BDR-2206B5PK Blu Ray 12x writer Optical Drive - Retail 79.95 79.95 1 ea Intel SSDSC2CW060A310 Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive 60 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch 91.93 91.93 1 ea Seagate ST3000DM001 Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB SATA 3 119.99 119.99 1 kit Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory 33.99 33.99

					subtotal	912.25

Substituting an i3 processor for the i7 and using your existing 1 TB HDD instead of buying a new 3 TB HDD would get the price down to around $600.

Beware that prices will be going up shortly for the Christmas season.

David