Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/28/12 13:40, Doug wrote:
If you build a powerful machine with 8 cores, can't you make it a
server, with two more terminals, so the wife and daughter can
log in and work while you do? I don't know how to do that, but there
must be some Unix maven here who cah=n tell you.

With a second NIC, Ubuntu allows you to set up an LTSP server OOTB. I tried it with my D865GBFLK P4 3.4E HT machine, but the server had Intel graphics and the clients were older P3's with NVIDIA PCI cards -- what a nightmare.

Beware that not all Intel graphics have FOSS support:

I'd like to try LTSP again using my new DQ67SWB3 i7-2600S machine as the server. The challenge is finding a client platform that allows me to use the same graphics driver for both the server and the clients. So far, I haven't been able to figure it out from WWW documentation -- e.g. what video driver does my i7-2600S use, and what other chips are supported by the same driver.