Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/28/2012 12:49 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 10/27/2012 08:27 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 10/27/2012 7:29 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I'm really getting annoyed by my random system lockups, so I have been
looking at new motherboards, new systems, etc.
I saw a Fry's add for a motherboard, an AMD 8 Core CPU and memory for
That's a 125 watt CPU (ouch!).  That's two 60 watt incandescent bulbs
worth of juice and heat output at full load, one bulb worth at idle, and
a relatively loud stock cooler to prevent it from melting.

Coming from a 2800+ which is a ~60 watt CPU, and given the fact you'll
never make use of more than 2 of those 8 cores, I recommend a dual core
AthlonII X2 @ 3.4GHz.  I have the 3GHz model and the 2nd core is pretty
much always idle, with primary core being idle most of the time as well,
as is everyone's.
I don't know if this makes a difference, but... While this is a home machine there are three of us here. Myself, my wife and daughter. We are all logged in all the time and we are all running separate X sessions all the time.

Logged in all the time simultaneously like a 3-seater?

Hugo
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. We are each logged in to separate vts, 1, 2 and 3 and then we each have our own X sessions up on vt7, 8 and 9. I have been known to log in a test user on vt4 and X session on vt10, but only once, or twice. That way we can each have our own set of programs running, even when someone else is sitting at the computer. It usually takes very little time once the computer frees up for someone else to sit down, press Ctl-Alt-Fx and be running their own session right where they left off.

Marc