Re: Advice on system purchase

Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 10/27/2012 08:27 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 10/27/2012 7:29 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I'm really getting annoyed by my random system lockups, so I have been
looking at new motherboards, new systems, etc.
I saw a Fry's add for a motherboard, an AMD 8 Core CPU and memory for
That's a 125 watt CPU (ouch!).  That's two 60 watt incandescent bulbs
worth of juice and heat output at full load, one bulb worth at idle, and
a relatively loud stock cooler to prevent it from melting.

Coming from a 2800+ which is a ~60 watt CPU, and given the fact you'll
never make use of more than 2 of those 8 cores, I recommend a dual core
AthlonII X2 @ 3.4GHz.  I have the 3GHz model and the 2nd core is pretty
much always idle, with primary core being idle most of the time as well,
as is everyone's.
I don't know if this makes a difference, but... While this is a home machine there are three of us here. Myself, my wife and daughter. We are all logged in all the time and we are all running separate X sessions all the time.

Logged in all the time simultaneously like a 3-seater?

Hugo

<snip>