Re: Advice on system purchase

On 10/28/12 04:54, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
SSD might still be good bet. They are like switching from floppy disk to
harddisk for me.

+1

On 10/28/12 11:11, Mark Allums wrote:
> The principle is sound, but the prices are 10x too much.

Intel 520 series 60 GB SSD -- $91.93

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-SATA-2-5-Inch/dp/B006VCP72W

Western Digital Barracuda 80 GB 7200 RPM 8 MB SATA 2 HDD -- $25.25

http://www.amazon.com/WESTERN-DIGITAL-WD800JD-Drive-Electronics/dp/B0007YYDBG

Yes, the SSD is more expensive -- $67 more, or 3.6x the price.

But looking at total system cost, today's price would be $820 with SSD vs. $753 with HDD. Saving 9% total system cost and limiting system drive performance by investing in obsolete technology would have been a poor choice.

And now that I have one fast SSD, I can buy a second, set up RAID 0, and double drive throughput for 11% additional system cost. Imagine 1 GB/second drive throughput -- yowza!

Similarly, I can double memory size for 5%. Or, when 2 @ 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz kits are ~$82, I can triple memory size for 10%.

So, with a solid foundation and the right upgrades, I should be able to get good service out of this machine for the next 7 years.

> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/10/24/1848203/ext4-data-corruption-bug-hits-linux-kernel

Yuck.  I think I'll leave my systems on...

David