Re: Advice on system purchase

Am Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2012 schrieb Mark Allums:
> On 10/28/2012 4:38 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Sb, 27 oct 12, 22:27:30, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >> Coming from a 2800+ which is a ~60 watt CPU, and given the fact
> >> you'll never make use of more than 2 of those 8 cores, I recommend
> >> a dual core AthlonII X2 @ 3.4GHz.  I have the 3GHz model and the
> >> 2nd core is pretty much always idle, with primary core being idle
> >> most of the time as well, as is everyone's.
> >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953
> >
> > Any opinion on a Core i3 (Ivy Bridge)?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
> > P.S. your hardware prices make me drool. Here we have higher numbers
> > and in EUR for the same stuff :(
>
> My own opinion on i3 is that it;s a bit underpowered for a modern
> system, even a Linux system.  If i7 seems like overkill to you, then
> the obvious compromise is i5, which is what i recommend to most
> non-technical people.  But yeah.  Go Ivy bridge no matter which model
> you go with.

I have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz in that ThinkPad T520
and its really just fast enough for me. Easily. And thats just dual core
and the mobile variant.

But yes, I´d go for Ivybridge now as well. In my case I will wait for
Haswell cause that Sandybridge is fast enough. Even for most gaming I do.
(Well with Planeshift Ivybridge would be good:)

I think at least with computing power to power comsumption ratio I think
Intel Sandybridge and Ivybridge are *really* good.

I am not uptodate regarding AMD offerings, but I wouldn´t go for less than
this regarding this ratio especially for a desktop machine.

> Video:  It's hard to recommend anything other than Intel for Linux.
> Get the Ivy Bridge i5 CPU with the onboard GPU .

Ack.

> Memory:  Get more than you think you'll need.  It's usually worth it.
> Don't bother about high speed memory; get the standard stuff that your
> MB+CPU supports.

If 8 GB then at least with the option to upgrade to 16 or 32 GB.

I do have 8 GB in this ThinkPad and while that is more than enough for
usual case of me running on or two KDE sessions I have seen this box
swapping to SSD in some cases. Like me having two VMs running concurrently
to these two KDE sessions.

> HDD:  Buy two large capacity (2TB or larger) and RAID 1 them for /home
> and swap.  For /, RAID 1 is optional, capacity 500GB - 1TB.  I don't
> bother with SSDs on Linux machines for personal use.  Windows machines
> benefit more from them.  Whether you really need them depends on
> application.

SSD might still be good bet. They are like switching from floppy disk to
harddisk for me.

But then I have a 12 GB workstation with Ext4 RAID 1 on two Western
Digital 1,5 TB drives and /home on NetApp provided 1GBit-NFS and yes its
fast too. I attribute that to the 12 GB of RAM in the machine. It just
caches everything :).

Ciao,