Re: No sound on Wheezy

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 01:53:05PM +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:45:35AM +0000, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> >> Thanks. I've tried but still no sound even I got no resource busy
> >> error this time. Just to be sure I reboot into Windows and there was
> >> sound so my audio "card" and the connection to the loudspeaker is
> >> good.
> >
> > Having recently run into this myself, try the following:
> >
> > # speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,0
> > # speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:1,0
> > # speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:2,0
> >
> > (You have three devices, but perhaps not all of them are (say) capable
> > of playing PCM sound. In my case, I had an "analog" and a "digital"
> > output and the wrong one was device 0).
>
> Thank you. Where those hw numbers come from? I tried the following under Gnome:

The parameters to "hw:x,y" are X = Card number and Y = Device on that
card. I think I misread your output of aplay -l earlier. Looking at the
one at the end of this email, I see you actually have "hw:0,0" (the
ALC887-VD Analog), "hw:0,1" (the ALC887-VD Digital) and "hw:1,3" (the
HDMI 0). Hopefully you can see how I've worked out those device names
from the output?

As for the number to "-c", I chose 2 because almost all devices support
stereo. You may try a higher number if you want to test more speakers
(e.g. rear speakers)

[failures cut]

> Just wondering what change does in second number:
>
> # speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,1
>
> speaker-test 1.0.25
>
> Playback device is hw:0,1
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
> WAV file(s)
> Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
> Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
> Period size range from 32 to 8192
> Using max buffer size 16384
> Periods = 4
> was set period_size = 4096
> was set buffer_size = 16384
>  0 - Front Left
>  1 - Front Right
> Time per period = 2,730392
>  0 - Front Left
>  1 - Front Right
> Time per period = 2,986731
>  0 - Front Left
>  1 - Front Right
>
> Still no sound. So no success.

OK, but as far as ALSA's concerned, it's not playing out of your digital
device. If you have an optical cable, it'll be using that.

If you're wanting to use the analog output (i.e. normal, metal cables),
then we still have an issue. I notice that pulseaudio gave a warning
when you tried to stop it; "pulseaudio -k" should kill any
user-initiated daemons.

To be sure, try running "sudo lsof|egrep 'snd|dsp|NAME'" to see if
anything else is using your sound device.