Re: No sound on Wheezy

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:45:35AM +0000, Artifex Maximus wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Andrei POPESCU
>> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It seems like pulseaudio is interfering. Try stopping it first.
>>
>> Thanks. I've tried but still no sound even I got no resource busy
>> error this time. Just to be sure I reboot into Windows and there was
>> sound so my audio "card" and the connection to the loudspeaker is
>> good.
>
> Having recently run into this myself, try the following:
>
> # speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,0
> # speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:1,0
> # speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:2,0
>
> (You have three devices, but perhaps not all of them are (say) capable
> of playing PCM sound. In my case, I had an "analog" and a "digital"
> output and the wrong one was device 0).

Thank you. Where those hw numbers come from? I tried the following under Gnome:

# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,0

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is hw:0,0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
# /etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop
[warn] PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions ... (warning).
# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,0

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is hw:0,0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:1,0

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is hw:1,0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory
# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:2,0

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is hw:2,0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

Just wondering what change does in second number:

# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,1

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is hw:0,1
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
WAV file(s)
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192
Using max buffer size 16384
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 4096
was set buffer_size = 16384
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 2,730392
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right
Time per period = 2,986731
 0 - Front Left
 1 - Front Right

Still no sound. So no success.

# aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I think this means that alsa detect my audio device.

Bye,