Re: No sound on Wheezy

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:45:35AM +0000, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Andrei POPESCU
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mi, 24 oct 12, 10:22:57, Artifex Maximus wrote:
> >
> >> # aplay -L
> >> default
> >>     Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
> >> sysdefault:CARD=Intel
> >>     HDA Intel, ALC887-VD Analog
> >>     Default Audio Device
> >> # speaker-test -c 2 -D sysdefault
> >>
> >> speaker-test 1.0.25
> >>
> >> Playback device is sysdefault
> >> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
> >> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> >> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> >> Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
> >
> > It seems like pulseaudio is interfering. Try stopping it first.
>
> Thanks. I've tried but still no sound even I got no resource busy
> error this time. Just to be sure I reboot into Windows and there was
> sound so my audio "card" and the connection to the loudspeaker is
> good.

Having recently run into this myself, try the following:

# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,0
# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:1,0
# speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:2,0

(You have three devices, but perhaps not all of them are (say) capable
of playing PCM sound. In my case, I had an "analog" and a "digital"
output and the wrong one was device 0).

If you get one of those to work, you can tell ALSA to use that device as
default by adding the following to /etc/asound.conf (assuming device 1
was the one that worked)

#----8<------------
pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}

ctl !default {
	type hw
	card 1
}

This should also (I think) route pulseaudio to the correct device, too.