Re: First attempt to use preseeding

Tom H wrote:
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
Jon Dowland wrote:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 04:13:17PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

It appears to me that my preseed.cfg file is not being read at all.

OK. I don't know the nature of the problem you are trying to fix,

The nature of the problem is  that I have found *NO NONE NADA* complete
explicit instructions of  what to do when handed THREE objects:
  1. dedicated laptop capable of running Debian
  2. Debian 6.0.5 DVD 1 of 8
  3. a USB stick which may be partitioned and formatted as required on which
can be placed a pressed.cfg.

You can add "DEBCONF_DEBUG=5" to the kernel's boot options to see
(hopefully!) on vt4 why your preseed file isn't being read/loaded.

That's the kind of information I wasn't finding.

What I have found is incomplete and conflicting descriptions of portions of
the procedure(s) required drawn from various Debian releases.

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/apbs02.html

I've read that section for older releases, but I wouldn't have looked at that one in detail as I'm still in 32 bit mode. But in a quick read I saw a couple of things I had figured out and found an explicit statement that without setting a specific parameter it would not operate in what I assumed would be its default mode {I need auto=true ;}.

Whilst I agree that the actual preseed "verbs"/"options" aren't fully
documented, I don't see what's incomplete or conflicting on the above
page.

At the moment all I want is to read a preseed.cfg file. ANY preseed.cfg file ;!

but could
it be reproduced/triaged in a virtual machine? It might be much
quicker/easier
to explore kicking off the installer in a VM, which you can
interrupt/throw
away and start again very quickly.

Based on over 50 years of trouble shooting experience I cannot see the
benefit of adding a VM to the mix when the problem is lack of documentation.

50 years?!

Snicker. I took my first programming course 8 years before Mr. Torvalds was born. 5U4, 12AX7, 026, CORC and CUPL were part of our vocabulary. I'm so old, I predate BASIC.