Re: How to update

On Oct 25, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Edwin Zarthrusz wrote:

> Can you send me a straight-forward list of commands for updating and applying any necessary security patches and such on my install? And is there a way of getting it to update automatically?

apticron is pretty close to automatic. There are no commands; you just install it (apt-get install apticron), and it checks for updates and stuff every night, downloads the .debs, and sends you an email saying that you need to do something (the command line command is in the email, and you can always bring up aptitude for more info).

I think that Debian (like many other systems) tries not to do anything to your machine on its own -- it always asks first. There are pros and cons to this, but it's what I prefer. And it's not much trouble...

--
Glenn English