Re: First attempt to use preseeding

Jon Dowland wrote:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 04:13:17PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
It appears to me that my preseed.cfg file is not being read at all.

OK. I don't know the nature of the problem you are trying to fix,

The nature of the problem is that I have found *NO NONE NADA* complete explicit instructions of what to do when handed THREE objects:
 1. dedicated laptop capable of running Debian
 2. Debian 6.0.5 DVD 1 of 8
3. a USB stick which may be partitioned and formatted as required on which can be placed a pressed.cfg. NOTE BENE: The word "network" does not appear in that description.

What I have found is incomplete and conflicting descriptions of portions of the procedure(s) required drawn from various Debian releases.

but could
it be reproduced/triaged in a virtual machine? It might be much quicker/easier
to explore kicking off the installer in a VM, which you can interrupt/throw
away and start again very quickly.

Based on over 50 years of trouble shooting experience I cannot see the benefit of adding a VM to the mix when the problem is lack of documentation. When I wrote "Is there a "Preseeding for Newbies" page somewhere? ", I was indicating that I was new to Linux not that I did not have background to draw on.