Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>> Do you really need LVM?
>
> I have partitioned drives n the past (using windows). Not a big deal.
> Easy enough for sure. LVM intrigued me and I wanted to learn. The
> logical volumes can be size adjusted (if need be) all while the
> computer is live! That's a good thing to have. That's all. :-).

Not all file systems can be changed in size while they are mounted, and
besides learning, you probably have to have rather special requirements
to actually need LVM.  Other than that, it adds a layer of complexity
which better is avoided.  I only have it because the installer forced me
to use it when installing on software raid.  I wonder what the impact on
performance is ...

>> How did you set up LVM, and what does fdisk -l say?
>

> What is fdisk -1 ??  I'm new to all this Linux jargon. But learning fast!

See man fdisk :)

>>> In my case, if I tell the Debian installer to place the GRUB
>>> boot-loader into   (hdd1,1)  or  /dev/sdb, will it place the GRUB
>>> boot-loader in the  '/' (root partition) due to the fact that its
>>> listed FIRST in the 'Review Partition Layout' screen?
>>
>> Did you install grub in a partition or into the MBR?  If you installed
>> it in a partition, how can you boot from that?  The BIOS isn't aware of
>> partitions, or is it?
>
> I don't believe the BIOS has anything to do with partitions. GRUB has
> everything to do with partitions. I was told GRUB will find the /boot
> file or partition wherever its located on a targeted drive.
>
> I installed GRUB into /dev/sdb (into my partition called /boot located
> on the 2nd drive).

/dev/sdb refers to a block device and not to a partition.  I remember
the installer giving you a choice between installing grub in the MBR (of
a block device) or in a partition.  I never tried the latter, and AFAIK
the BIOS will look into the first sector on a block device (like
/dev/sdb) to find some executable code it can load and execute.  So I
wonder how it should be possible to boot when grub isn't installed in
the MBR but in a partition.

> The OS booted fine as long as I switched the boot
> order in BIOS to boot the 2nd drive.

Which maybe isn't so great when you switch it all the time ...  Long
ago, I've been reading some article claiming that you can change BIOS
settings only so often before it's RAM wears out.  What happens with
SSDs reminds me of that.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch