Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I just realized something important. When I set my Debian drive (sdb)
>> for partitioning, I used the 'Manual' setup and chose Logical Volume
>> Manager (LVM) non-encryption method.
>
> Do you really need LVM?

I have partitioned drives n the past (using windows). Not a big deal.
Easy enough for sure. LVM intrigued me and I wanted to learn. The
logical volumes can be size adjusted (if need be) all while the
computer is live! That's a good thing to have. That's all. :-).

>> Is this 'Review Partition Layout' screen (displayed for review before
>> writing to disks) the actual order of partitions on the Debian drive
>> (sdb)? or is it just a review window?
>
> How did you set up LVM, and what does fdisk -l say?

What is fdisk -1 ??  I'm new to all this Linux jargon. But learning fast!

>> In my case, if I tell the Debian installer to place the GRUB
>> boot-loader into   (hdd1,1)  or  /dev/sdb, will it place the GRUB
>> boot-loader in the  '/' (root partition) due to the fact that its
>> listed FIRST in the 'Review Partition Layout' screen?
>
> Did you install grub in a partition or into the MBR?  If you installed
> it in a partition, how can you boot from that?  The BIOS isn't aware of
> partitions, or is it?

I don't believe the BIOS has anything to do with partitions. GRUB has
everything to do with partitions. I was told GRUB will find the /boot
file or partition wherever its located on a targeted drive.

I installed GRUB into /dev/sdb (into my partition called /boot located
on the 2nd drive). The OS booted fine as long as I switched the boot
order in BIOS to boot the 2nd drive. Nothing was placed into the MBR
of the windows drive. I installed nothing to the windows drive.

Thank you Lee