Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

Wally wrote: (on Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM)
> I only have one shot at getting this correct. My 2nd hard drive (that
> contains Debian) is installed on /dev/sdb and the first partition on
> that drive is /boot .

I just realized something important. When I set my Debian drive (sdb)
for partitioning, I used the 'Manual' setup and chose Logical Volume
Manager (LVM) non-encryption method. I decided I should know and learn
this partition procedure and studied it for two days prior to setting
up the partitions.

The first partition I manually created was /boot and it is NOT a LVM
partition. It can't be. It's not allowed. It can only be a regular
partition.

I set the remaining partitions (swap, /, /usr, /var, /temp, /home) as
LVM partitions (logical volumes).

Although the first partition I created was /boot (set as 'Primary'
with location tagged as 'Beginning' ) it is not what was displayed to
me at the very end for 'Final Partition Review' when partitioning was
completed.

For some reason, in the Debian Installer 'final partition review'
screen it listed all the logical volumes first (swap, /, /usr, /var,
/temp, /home) and then the /dev/sda device (windows) and then followed
by the Debian drive (/dev/sdb) that included the /boot partition
followed by the Primary Volume partition (PV) sdb).

Is this 'Review Partition Layout' screen (displayed for review before
writing to disks) the actual order of partitions on the Debian drive
(sdb)? or is it just a review window?

*******Therefore is /boot really the 'first' partition before I
attempt to enter (hd1,1)  or /dev/sdb in the 'device for boot loader
installation' box? ********

If I remember the logical volumes were listed first and then my 1st
hard drive (windows) was listed next (/dev/sda) and then the Debian
drive listed last (/dev/sda) along with its Primary Volume (PV). I'm
searching for a link now that will provided a pictorial view. The
tutorial I for LVM partion setup was from LinuxBSDos.com but the site
is down right now and won't provide me the url. The title of the
tutorial is:

Manual LVM configuration guide for Debian 6 - LinuxBSDos.com (it is 3 pages)

Here is the best sample overview screen from a Fedora install that I
could find. It only uses one hard drive for the install (I'm using 2
hdd's in a dual boot) but you can see the logical volumes are listed
'first' before the /boot partition (under /dev/sda) in the 'final
partition review' screen.

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/red-hat-6-installation-guide-rhel-6-install-screenshots/
(Scroll to step 13: 'Review partition layout').

In other words, does step: 13 in the 'Review Partition Layout' screen
for fedora (above) actually MIRROR the actual partition location order
on the hard drive?

In my case, if I tell the Debian installer to place the GRUB
boot-loader into   (hdd1,1)  or  /dev/sdb, will it place the GRUB
boot-loader in the  '/' (root partition) due to the fact that its
listed FIRST in the 'Review Partition Layout' screen?

Ready to go except for this latch glitch.....  thank you