Re: Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

>> On 7 October 2012 19:05, Wally Lepore <wallylepore@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not understanding please. Do I download the .zip file you
>> suggested and run that from the USB stick and that alone will tell me
>> if any firmware is needed for my system prior to running the netinst
>> CD I created?

> On Oct 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> replied:
>
> No.  You have to offer that at a later stage when you are asked for it
> by the installer.

Hi Lisi,

Thanks for helping again. Can we please start over? I'm not understanding.

Before installing Debian Squeeze via the netinst.iso file, I was
advised to run the Debian LiveCd to test my systems hardware. Is this
still recommended or should I forget the liveCD and simply begin the
install process to my hard drive using the netinst CD that I burned?

If you do recommend that I simply begin the install to my hard drive,
and if during the install, the installer asked for firmware, then I
place the USB stick into the computer (that has the the firmware on
it) OR should the USB stick already be in the computer prior to the
install? This is confusing and I appreciate your help.

Here is the link where I downloaded the firmware .zip file
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/squeeze/current/

> I would strongly recommend using ethernet, not wi-fi, for your net
> install if you possibly can.  It is easier and you are much less
> likely to need firmware.

Thanks for that advice. Yes, I am using ethernet for the net install.

By the way, here is a link to the motherboard I'm using to install
Debian Squeeze. The motherboard is an iWill DVD266R. The board has SMP
as it uses 'two' pentium III processors. It provides up to 4 gigs
'max' of DDR memory however I only have 1 gig of RAM installed. It
should handle Debian Squeeze (basic system) no problem. I can provide
any additional hardware specs if needed.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/iwill-dvd266-r.html

The Debian detailed instruction guide says that dual processors are
supported. See:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en#id583798

I have the raid controllers turned 'off' and using an 80 gig Western
Digital EIDE hard drive to install Debian to.

Also following instructions on section titled, 3.6.3. Miscellaneous
BIOS Settings
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s06.html.en#id586045

Complete Debian Install instructions for i386
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

Just trying to get Debian installed. Thank you very much!