Re: [Conclusion] Looking for an emacs replacement

Vincent Chen wrote:
> Since you've been using Emacs for the past 15 years, I hope you do
> realize you can disable all the GUI clutter by setting:
>
> (menu-bar-mode -1)
> (tool-bar-mode -1)
> (scroll-bar-mode -1)
>
> in your ~/.emacs (though I do keep the scroll bar around, easier to
> read than the percentage in the mode line).

I have a lot of that in my .emacs file.  Here is a small listing of
these types of fixes that I use.  And yes I know that every one of
these features that I am turning off were highly desired by someone
else who wanted them enough to code them in as the new default.

Bob

(if (>= emacs-major-version 20)
    (menu-bar-mode -1))

(if (>= emacs-major-version 21)
    (if window-system
        (tool-bar-mode -1)))

(if (>= emacs-major-version 22)
    (progn
      ;; Have *Buffer List* use old-style header without white on green highlight.
      (setq Buffer-menu-use-header-line nil)
      ;; Disable dark blue on dark background in minibuffer.
      (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)))

(if (>= emacs-major-version 23)
    (progn
      (setq transient-mark-mode nil)
      (setq line-move-visual nil)
      (setq search-whitespace-regexp nil)
      (setq split-width-threshold nil)))

;; Disable nasty white on green highlighting in electric-buffer-mode.
;; We use eval-after-load to monkey patch after ebuf-menu is loaded
;; as that's where the "bad" definition of electric-buffer-mode is located.
(eval-after-load "ebuff-menu" '(defun electric-buffer-update-highlight ()))

;; Stop the annoying question about exiting with shell processes still running.
(eval-after-load 'shell
  '(add-hook 'comint-exec-hook
	     '(lambda ()
		(set-process-query-on-exit-flag (get-process "shell") nil))))