Re: [Conclusion] Looking for an emacs replacement

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> And you want to drop it just because of a problem with your settings not
>> being honored? Have you report it?
>
> Does it matter? -- I started to use Emacs almost 15 years ago. By then,
> there is only one looks and feel, the Unix one. Over the years, emacs is
> moving towards Windows, I lost its xterm-like scroll bar years ago, now
> the whole Unix-like look and feel is gone. It's OK to woo the windows
> users, but to completely ignore the Unix users, that's very sad. I don't
> want to spend a minute more on learning to configure its bizarred GTK
> interface any more.

Since you've been using Emacs for the past 15 years, I hope you do
realize you can disable all the GUI clutter by setting:

(menu-bar-mode -1)
(tool-bar-mode -1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)

in your ~/.emacs (though I do keep the scroll bar around, easier to
read than the percentage in the mode line).