Re: new version of "less" pager

Austyg wrote:
> Thanks to all for good clues.
> v451 of "less" is desirable because it adds support for GNU regular expressions.

Hmm...  It does say that in the upstream changelog.

I am unfamiliar with GNU regular expressions.  How are they different
from either POSIX regular expressions or PCRE (perl compatible regular
expressions) both of which are already supported by less?

> Since the "to do" section of http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/less.html says:
>
> "A new upstream version is available: 451, you should consider packaging it."

That is the automated standard display when the Debian watchfile has
detected a newer version upstream.

> It looks like it will eventually move through "unstable",  and next
> iteration of "testing".  I'll keep an eye open for it.

> I'll try the back-ports route if my need becomes pressing.

Remember that for it to be a candidate for Backports then it must
have appeared in Unstable first and have migrated to Testing.
Otherwise it isn't a candidate for Backports.

Bob