Re: Storage server

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:46:37AM +0200, Denis Witt wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:29:22 +0100
> Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Denis' answer is very good, I won't re-iterate his points.
>
> Thanks. And also thanks for pointing out the Hardlinks thing, I
> over-read the "lots of small files" part in Velkjos Mail.
>
> Anyway, I have some comparison data. I have a backup server that saves
> data from 5 other server at our hosting company using rsnapshot. The
> backups are kept for 14 days.
>
> rsnapshot:
>
> The Backup has 186GB. 51 GB for the full backup (daily.0) and
> about 11GB for each incremental backup (daily.1 - daily.13). The backup
> includes typical small webserver files but also big logfiles and two
> ZOPE Databases (ZEOs) with about 5GB each.
>
> bup:
>
> I imported them with "bup import-rsnapshot", the overall size is 15GB
> (for all 14 days) which is quite amazing. Anyway the lack of a
> possibility to delete old backup versions is (for me) a major drawback.
> What I liked was the possibility to mount the Backup with FUSE. After
> mounting the Backup one can access every backup generation as normal
> files. Each generation has its own folder with a timestamp. The files
> inside the backup have no metadata (timestamp is always 1.1.1970, etc.).
>
> The only way I can think of at the moment to get rid of old backup
> generations using bup is to mount (FUSE) the backup restore all backup
> generations you want to keep to an additional drive, delete the bup git
> repository, create a new one and backup the restore again. Of course
> this might take a lot of additional space on you disk for the
> (temporary) restore which might not be available. If any has some
> better approach I would love to hear.
>
> obnam:
>
> With obnam I made a backup of daily.0 (51GB). There was nearly no
> reduction in the size for the first backup run (47GB). The next backup
> run (one day later, which creates 11GB new data with rsnapshot) has only
> added a few MB and therefore was pretty fast.
>
> The repository approach of obnam comes very handy. You can pull or push
> backups to the repository server and can access the backups from any
> other machine (if you have SSH access). Configuration is not necessary
> but a small config containing some default parameters comes in handy:
>
> [config]
> repository = sftp://192.168.1.10/backup/obnam/
> log = /var/log/obnam.log
> log-level = warning
> client-name = dx
>
> If you now run "obnam backup /var/www" the backup of /var/www will be
> pushed to the repository. obnam locks the repository for the client so
> one cannot accidentally run two backups of the same host (client) at
> the same time. Running several backups of different hosts is no problem.
>
> During a backup run obnam makes "snapshots" every few 100MB so if the
> backup fails (e.g. disconnect from the repository server) the backup
> can be resumed from the last snapshot.

> [...]

This is excellent comparison. Taking everything in consideration, I
thing I narrowed my choice to obnam, rdiff-backup and rsnapshot. I'll
try them all and see how they behave on my machine.

obnam and rdiff-backup seems to use less space, but I also like very
clear representation of backups on rsnapshot. But during few days of
testing each of them I'll know what to use.

I also stumbled upon this one: http://rbackup.lescigales.org/

Best regards,
Veljko