Re: Storage server

On 9/7/2012 11:29 AM, Veljko wrote:

> I'm in the process of making new backup server, so I'm thinking of best
> way of doing it. I have 4 3TB disks and I'm thinking of puting them in
> software RAID10.

["what if" stream of consciousness rambling snipped for brevity]

> What do you think of this setup? Good sides? Bad sides of this approach?

Applying the brakes...

As with many tech geeks with too much enthusiasm for various tools and
not enough common sense and seasoning, you've made the mistake of
approaching this backwards.  Always start here:

1.  What are the requirements of the workload?
2.  What is my budget and implementation date?
3.  How can I accomplish #1 given #2 with the
4.  Least complexity and
5.  Highest reliability and
6.  Easiest recovery if the system fails?

You've described a dozen or so overly complex technical means to some
end that tend to violate #4 through #6.

Slow down, catch your breath, and simply describe #1 and #2.  We'll go
from there.

--
Stan