Re: Storage server

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 01:26:13PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 9/7/2012 11:29 AM, Veljko wrote:
>
> > I'm in the process of making new backup server, so I'm thinking of best
> > way of doing it. I have 4 3TB disks and I'm thinking of puting them in
> > software RAID10.
>
> ["what if" stream of consciousness rambling snipped for brevity]
>
> > What do you think of this setup? Good sides? Bad sides of this approach?
>
> Applying the brakes...
>
> As with many tech geeks with too much enthusiasm for various tools and
> not enough common sense and seasoning, you've made the mistake of
> approaching this backwards.  Always start here:
>
> 1.  What are the requirements of the workload?
> 2.  What is my budget and implementation date?
> 3.  How can I accomplish #1 given #2 with the
> 4.  Least complexity and
> 5.  Highest reliability and
> 6.  Easiest recovery if the system fails?
>
> You've described a dozen or so overly complex technical means to some
> end that tend to violate #4 through #6.
>
> Slow down, catch your breath, and simply describe #1 and #2.  We'll go
> from there.
>
> --
> Stan

Well, it did sound a little to complex and that is why I posted to this
list, hoping to hear some other opinions.

1. This machine will be used for
  a) backup (backup server for several dedicated (mainly) web servers).
  It will contain incremental backups, so only first running will take a
  lot of time, rsnapshot will latter download only changed/added files
  and will run from cron every day. Files that will be added later are
  around 1-10 MB in size. I expect ~20 GB daily, but that number can
  grow. Some files fill be deleted, other will be added.
  Dedicated servers that will be backed up are ~500GB in size.
  b) monitoring (Icinga or Zabbix) of dedicated servers.
  c) file sharing for employees (mainly small text files). I don't
  expect this to be resource hog.
  d) Since there is enough space (for now), and machine have four cores
  and 4GB RAM (that can be easily increased), I figured I can use it for
  test virtual machines. I usually work with 300MB virtual machines and
  no intensive load. Just testing some software.

2. There is no fixed implementation date, but I'm expected to start
working on it. Sooner the better, but no dead lines.
   Equipment I have to work with is desktop class machine: Athlon X4,
   4GB RAM and 4 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001 7200rpm. Server will be in my
   office and will perform backup over internet. I do have APC UPS to
   power off machine in case of power loss (apcupsd will take care of
   that).

In next few months it is expected that size of files on dedicated
servers will grow and it case that really happen I'd like to be able to
expand this system. Hardware RAID controllers are expensive and managers
always want to go with least expenses possible, so I'm stuck with
software RAID only.

But, one of dedicated server is slowly running out of space, so I don't
think they will go for cheapest option there. I'll have to take care of
that too, but first things first.

And, of course, thanks for your time and valuable advices, Stan, I've read
some of your previous posts on this list and know you're storage guru.

Rregards,
Veljko