Storage server

Hi!

I'm in the process of making new backup server, so I'm thinking of best
way of doing it. I have 4 3TB disks and I'm thinking of puting them in
software RAID10.

I created 2 500MB partitions for /boot (RAID1) and the rest it RAID10.

Next step is LVM, so I can expand storage if necessary. What is the best
way to do it? One VG and then create LV for root, swap, storage space or
I should create 2 VG, one for system and other one for storage space?

Every LV will have enough space for few months, but I wouldn't allocate
all available space, saving it for LV that will actualy need it.

I would put monitoring and file sharing server here as well, so there
will be LV for them too.

LVM will provide me a way to expand storage with extra disks, but if
there is no more room for that kind of expansion, I was thinking of
GlusterFS for scaling-out.

I would use KVM virtual machines (another LV for virtual disks) for
client part that would use network file system from host machine and
when need for more storage servers arise, I would just build another
similar storage server and add it to GFS I'm already using. I'm not sure
though if it is possible to use GFS on a just single server.

Inside of virtual machine will be rsnapshot, that would do actual backup
job.

I was thinking of puting samba/FTP and monitoring server on virtual
machines too (and some others for testing and that kind of things). They
would also use network storage provided by host machine.

What do you think of this setup? Good sides? Bad sides of this approach?

OS I would use is Wheezy. Guess he will be stable soon enough and I
don't want to reinstall everything again in one year, when support for
old stable is dropped.

Regards,
Veljko

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understood what I was trying
to say. ;)