Re: Storage server

Am Montag, 10. September 2012 schrieb Veljko:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:05:49AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
[…]
> > > In case I don't get that card,
> > > should I remove /boot from RAID1?
> >
> > Post the output of
> >
> > ~$ cat /proc/mdstat
> >
> > I was under the impression you didn't have this system built and
> > running yet.  Apparently you do.  Are the 4x 3TB drives the only
> > drives in this system?
>
> I didn't till 30 minutes ago. :) I just installed it for exercise if
> nothing else. Had a problem with booting.
>
> "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
> Executing 'grub-intall /dev/sda' failed.
> This is a fatal error."
>
> After creating 1MB partition at the beginning of every drive with
> "reserved for boot bios" it worked (AHCI in BIOS).

GRUB needs a space between MBR and first partition. Maybe that space was to
small? Or more likely you GPT partitioned the disk (as its 3 TB and MBR
does only work upto 2 TB)? Then you need a BIOS boot partition. Unless you
use UEFI, then you´d need about 200 MB FAT 32 EFI system partition.

> Anyhow, this is output of "cat /proc/mdstat":
> Personalities : [raid1] [raid10]
> md1 : active raid10 sda3[0] sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb3[1]
>       5859288064 blocks super 1.2 512K chunks 2 near-copies [4/4]
> [UUUU] [======>..............]  resync = 32.1% (1881658368/5859288064)
> finish=325.2min speed=203828K/sec
>
> md0 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
>       488128 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> I'm not sure what is being copied on freshly installed system.

What do you mean by that?

SoftRAID just makes sure that all devices data is in sync. Thats needed
for a block level based RAID. An hardware RAID controller would have to do
this as well. (Unless it uses some map of sectors it already used, then
only these would have to be kept in sync, but I am not aware of any
hardware RAID controller or SoftRAID mode that does this.)

BTRFS based "RAID" (RAID 1 means something different there) does not need
an initial sync. But then no, thats no recommendation to use BTRFS yet.

Ciao,