Re: Storage server

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 08:16:00PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> GRUB needs a space between MBR and first partition. Maybe that space was to
> small? Or more likely you GPT partitioned the disk (as its 3 TB and MBR
> does only work upto 2 TB)? Then you need a BIOS boot partition. Unless you
> use UEFI, then you´d need about 200 MB FAT 32 EFI system partition.

Never used BIOS partition till now, but on the other hand, I've never
used 3TB disks. Debian reserve 1MB on start of the partition, but I
guess that part is used for MBR. But it wasn't hard to find necessary
information.

> > I'm not sure what is being copied on freshly installed system.
>
> What do you mean by that?
>
> SoftRAID just makes sure that all devices data is in sync. Thats needed
> for a block level based RAID. An hardware RAID controller would have to do
> this as well. (Unless it uses some map of sectors it already used, then
> only these would have to be kept in sync, but I am not aware of any
> hardware RAID controller or SoftRAID mode that does this.)

Didn't think it would took that much time to sync empty disks, but now
it does make sense.

> BTRFS based "RAID" (RAID 1 means something different there) does not need
> an initial sync. But then no, thats no recommendation to use BTRFS yet.
>
> Ciao,
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

I've tried BTRFS in testing environment, it worked well, but I wouldn't
use it until btrfsck  is ready and stable.

Regards,
Veljko